Many Amanitas are toxic, causing organ damage and/or death. NEVER eat a mushroom without thorough and proper identification!!!

Many Amanitas are toxic, causing organ damage and/or death. NEVER eat a mushroom without thorough and proper identification!!!

Right now, all across the United States (and the world in many areas) is prime mushroom foraging season.  Nothing brings on the variety like warmer temps and hopefully, rainfall.  Therefore many people, both seasoned foragers and newbies, are out scouting for delicious edible mushrooms.  Due to all of this myco-enthusiastic activity, I feel it is of utmost importance to remind everyone that although there are many yummy shrooms out there, there are many that can give you a horrible date with your toilet or worse, kill you.  Yes, kill you!

So on that note, before you grab your foraging basket and head out the door, be familiar, VERY familiar, with the poisonous mushrooms in your area.  David Fischer has a great page covering the different toxins and their host shrooms that can be found in the great outdoors.  I see no need to retype the same info so I will provide a link to his article, A Detailed Look At America’s Poisonous Mushrooms.

Happy SAFE foraging everyone! : )